Monday, August 9, 2010

With Great Sadness

With Great Sadness, I would like to announce the passing of my Stepmother. It's been a hell of a week. This morning, as I was about to leave the house to attend my Aunt's wake, my father called.
His voice was frantic and I could barely understand him. He told me that my stepmom was in the hospital and was not likely to make it.
WHAT?! I had just spent all of last Saturday with her; it was my brother's birthday and we had a nice BBQ/Party that lasted well into the night.
I told him I would be right there. I'm sure I was in a total fog. I tried to contact hubby, but he was in Anti-Terrorism training, so I started texting like crazy: CALL ME RIGHT AWAY!!!
I took the dog out and threw some things in a bag. Just as I was about to run out the door, the home phone rang, and I lunged for it. It was my father, all choked up, uttering two unbelievable words: "She's gone."
My Stepmom was 57 years old.
I headed Upstate to Dad's, my heart heavy, my hands on the wheel. I thought about my kid brother, her only son: he's only twenty-five, and way too young to lose a parent. I cried a little. I prayed, and cried some more. Somehow, I made it there in one piece, only to find my father, fallen to pieces.
Rest In Peace, "Stepmonster," ---I loved you a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com