Monday, October 3, 2011

Occupy Your Life

Apparently, this movement called "Occupy Wall Street" is gaining steam in downtown NYC, with the media insisting that this same movement is gaining traction in major cities all over the United States.

It started as a jumbled protest, but now it's basically become a bunch of people whining about what they don't have, rather than doing something to get out there and get it.

This from Fox News:

School teacher Denise Martinez said most of the children she teaches in Brooklyn live at or below the poverty level, and her classes are jammed with up to about 50 students.

"These are America's future workers, and what's trickling down to them are the problems -- the unemployment, the crime," she said. She blamed Wall Street for causing the country's financial problems and said it needed to do more to solve them.

Beside the mass arrest Saturday, police arrested about 100 people Sept. 24 when protesters marched to other parts of the city and got into a tense standoff with officers.

Some said protesters on the Brooklyn Bridge were lured onto the roadway by police, or they didn't hear the calls from authorities to head to the pedestrian walkway. Police said no one was tricked into being arrested, and that those in the back of the group who couldn't hear were allowed to leave.

The NYPD released video footage Sunday to back up its stance. In one of the videos, an official uses a bullhorn to warn the crowd. Marchers can be seen chanting, "Take the bridge."


Here's what I have to say: OCCUPY YOUR LIFE AND STOP THE WHINING!

Nobody ever gave me anything. For most of my young life, I lived well below the poverty level. I was a victim of some adult's poor choices; a casualty in a war I never asked to fight in...for a small portion of my life, I lived without a bed, on a blow-up mattress, in a structure where the heat was routinely being turned off in the dead of winter.

I never blamed Wall Street. I didn't go on Welfare. I chose not to "blame the system," and then go out and disrupt traffic. Not to mention that I didn't put hard-working police officers in compromising positions.

Instead, I got three jobs. I went to college part-time when I had extra money. I learned how to use coupons in order to stretch a buck. I'm sure there were times when I whined: why couldn't I have had a different destiny? I can vividly recall days when I did not want to get up and go to work.

But I did it. I occupied my life...I changed things, I moved forward, and I rose above the poverty level. I pushed. I kept moving. I never stopped.

I'm quite glad I live in a country where these types of protests can go on; I actually have no problem with the free speech or the right to demonstrate. Believe it or not, I have no ax to grind here. But here's what I don't have: sympathy.

Because if you take the average every-woman like myself, who has lived a hard-knock life for at least some period of time...you'll find that I just don't care about your point of view. I have an easy remedy: it's called getting out there and making the world a better place, instead of sitting there and doing too much of nothing.

It's time to Occupy Your Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com