Wednesday, March 21, 2012

There's No Free Lunch

Just so you understand the context of the following conversation...the NYPD has a stack of Rules and Regulations regarding not accepting any gifts or compensation from a civilian. The reason should be obvious: a police officer cannot be seen as being biased and/or "on the take."
Careful cops tow the line and see this to mean just about anything.
Yesterday I was walking across town in Midtown Manhattan, and with a deep breath, I took it all in: people rolling out of their office buildings, flowing down the street, laughing and talking and gesticulating wildly as us New Yorkers are wont to do; Spring came early to the City That Never Sleeps, and the energy of good weather and giddiness filled the air. As I crossed Lexington Avenue, I thought about my husband. Occasionally, they would move him from SoB to Manhattan for added police presence. I felt a pang of loneliness then, wishing I could see him, and just share a smile and a moment. As I made my way to my favorite new coffee place, I decided to text him:

Wish you were here today! I'd buy you an iced cafe!
His response: Probably get jammed up for taking a free coffee from a civilian.

God, I love this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com