Thursday, November 10, 2016

Perspective

This week has been a brutal one for the NYPD. They are stretched to capacity, helping to protect not one but two Presidential candidates, being a clear presence at poling stations across the City, and then going on to try and keep now President-Elect Trump protected from the public.
And then they laid to rest one of their own, today, on Long Island.
I have been mainly silent about Politics on this Blog, preferring to go after the Mayor of the City of New York with vigor, but really not weighing in all too much on the debate. I live in New York, after all, the bluest of blue states...and although I have friends on both sides of the aisle, I think it's safe to say that geographically I know where most people fall.
Until today.
Until today, I could not possibly ignore the wailing and protesting that has been going on---in Social Media, and in real life---because, let's face it: everyone has an opinion. And right now everyone is unabashedly sharing it.
Today I decided that I needed to make one thing clear to anyone who may decide to describe their political experience as being in mourning. Today, I say to you: ENOUGH.
Let's gain a little perspective here.
There is a woman out on Long Island who is steeped in mourning. Her name is Lisa Tuozzolo.
She is in mourning.
You are not "in mourning" because your Presidential Candidate lost her bid for the White House. Your life will go on, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.
Lisa's husband, Sgt. Paul Tuozzolo, will never come home again. His four and three year old sons may or may not remember him. Either way, they will have to live the rest of their lives without a father who loves them.
He is gone.
Gone because an absolute piece of trash decided to take his life. As SBA President Ed Mullins said:
"We remain under attack," Mullins said. "In the past three years, five members of the NYPD were not killed in the line of duty. They were murdered in the line of duty."
For all my friends and readers who are currently bemoaning their fate, and wondering what they can "do" about this shocking turn of political events, here's what you can do:
---Say a prayer for Lisa Tuozzolo and her sons tonight. Keep them in prayer during what is sure to be the most difficult season of their lives.
---Start a movement. Don't like Trump? Fine. Then show kindness if you feel he has been rude. Send a sympathy card to a woman whose life has been shattered, not a "Thank-you" card to Hillary Clinton. Perhaps you can do something nice for a Police Officer today...?
---Think outside the Box. Stop ranting and raving. To the other side: stop gloating. It is what it is.  I know some people reading this post might think I don't get it, but here's the rub; I "get it" more than you will ever know.

I get it, on levels and in ways you can never understand. When I saw the footage of my fellow Police Wife today, I reached out to touch the television with tears streaming down my face and said, "I'm sorry honey."
I broke wide open then, crying a torrent of tears, knowing it could have been me, or any one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com