Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Love A Cop

After the first night, I began to adjust, little by little, and day by day. I was still scared on a level I couldn't quite explain, and Roc knew what it was doing to me but was powerless to change anything.
"Just listen to me: be careful on those domestics. I think they're the worst." I knew what was lurking behind locked doors. I had seen one too many a drug-fueled rampage, up close and personal.
"Do you want me not to tell you?" He offered to do what it took to make it easier, but I was going by the book.
The actual book that Lt. Mo handed me when Roc graduated was called I Love A Cop by Ellen Kirschman PhD. My initial reaction upon receiving the book was to look at him as if he had lost his marbles. I shelved the book for a while, then decided one day that it couldn't hurt to read it. One of the things the book kept talking about was sharing things and not isolating.
"You have to tell me." I needed to know it all: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I also knew that I needed to deal with the tidal wave of emotions that I was experiencing. By this time, my mother's perpetrator was dead; he had died a lonely and fitting death. I needed to move on and I knew it; I just wasn't sure how.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com