Thursday, November 3, 2011

Brother Love

The other night, they had an unofficial meeting after Roll Call: all the cops on shift got together and threw twenty bucks in a hat for a cop that has been suspended without pay.

He's an officer with a new baby---facing an indictment for the "ticket scandal" in the Bronx. He's being treated as a criminal for something that should be considered a courtesy...and we have one very dirty cop to thank for all of that.

I have to say that I was glad to hear it; there are a whole host of things I find difficult about being a cop's wife, and there are things I simply hate about his job.

This is not one of them. It warms me to know that if---God Forbid---we were in trouble, we would have a whole line of blue arms outstretched towards us.

4 comments:

  1. If the law doesn't apply to cops or cops friends and family, it shouldn't apply to anyone.

    This stuff pisses me off.

    No personal responsibility by the freinds and family or by the police officers.

    If I'm stupid enough to do the crime (get the ticket). I'm stupid enough to do the time (pay the ticket). I wouldn't even test my cop friend ethics and morals by asking them to do me a "favor."

    Is there an official channel to get friends and family members ticks expunged? The answer is no, and that should of been their first clue not to fix the tickets.

    When who you know determines who is breaking a law and has to pay for it and who doesn't, that by definition is cronyism.

    The everyone does it or is doing it excuse wouldn't have held water with my grandmother, and I would of got the if every one jumps of a bridge would you do it to speech.

    Sorry Rant,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh:
    I welcome rants...so no problem here. I think it's more about the fact that cops are no longer allowed to have discretion...I don't know of one cop who would let a friend or family member go on a DWI, but a cell phone ticket? Especially when not every state has laws yet regarding hand-held cell phone use, etc...I know I would not like it if a friend approached my husband about "fixing" a ticket, but if that same friend was pulled over, ticket not yet written, cell phone in hand...I think it's alright to give that person a warning and a pass.
    :) Stella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this was about discretion, but about tickets already written and in the system. At lest thats the impresion that I have.

    Hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked Roc and he said yes...that's true, and that they are still "technically allowed" to use discretion...it's a fine line, I say...and I guess we'll just have to see how the whole thing plays out from here.
    :) Stella

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com