Monday, April 30, 2012

Train Drama

It's a mixed bag around here; there are some people that have the proper reverence and respect for cops in general and the NYPD in particular, and then there are those that hate cops. Period. As I've said time and again, it often has a lot to do with where you live in NYC. I, of course, am biased.
The other night I was traveling to the Upper West Side with a fellow Cop Wife. We got on the train and paid our fare to a nice female conductor. Then the conversation went here and there, and a few minutes later, we found ourselves comparing PBA Cards. I was talking about how much I liked the NYPD's 2011 card, as it had an artistic tribute to the 10-year anniversary of the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks and the Fallen Officers. We were comparing cards, wallets open, when a male conductor walked by us.
He stopped, sucked in his teeth, and said, "Really?!"
I was confused and truthfully did not know at first what his problem was...I looked at my friend and she seemed lost too.
"I said, "Come again?"
He said, "Really? You girls used PBA cards and she wrote you a ride?!" He rolled his eyes and then said, "That's Ridiculous!" With total attitude.
OK: I need to pause here and explain something. When my husband---or any other officer for that matter---rides the trains in and around NYC, they are able to show their shield and get a "free" ride. They are also issued "free" Metro-Cards by the NYPD, which is our swipe system to get into the subway, and on NYC buses. Now before any self-righteous readers decide to lambaste me for this, listen up: there is no such thing as a free ride. My husband has this privilege BUT is also compelled to act; what that means is that if at any time he is on a train and the conductor needs help, he can come get my husband and my husband then needs to jump right into his official capacity as an NYPD Officer. This can range from a fare jumper, to a rude, drunk, disorderly passenger, and even so far as to help thwart a terrorist attack.
Plus, I didn't make up the damn rules, so shut it. I don't want to hear from those of you who don't agree with this policy.
That said: for some reason, this perp/conductor got it in his head that I had shown my PBA card in order to get a free ride. And he was pissed, and had no problem letting that be known. Besides the fact that this is dismal customer service (if that was true, he probably should have addressed the female conductor) it is disrespectful to my husband, cop's wives, and cops in general.
Of course, all this transpires in a matter of seconds. Once we realize what he's getting at, I give him a look that would make a building crumble and say, "What are you talking about? I just paid the damn fare." My friend then takes out her receipt and waves it at him. He mutters something else that is expletive-laced under his breath, and then makes his way down the aisle.
I cannot get over this! First of all, he assumed something that was just not true, then accused us, then was rude as hell in front of a packed car full of people. It was not acceptable, and my friend and I were floored by his outrageous behavior.
So the next time he walked down the aisle, I made a point of saying, "Excuse me?" in as nice a voice as possible. Once he turned around, I shot him a smoldering look, and then said, "I really, truly hope you never need my husband or any other NYPD Officer's help; you should know better, and you should never insult a cop's wife."
Hey, I can give it back when I need to.
He slinked off down the aisle and we did not see him again.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Stella! It's not about free rides- it's about a professional, appropriate way to address a situation. The conductor needs some training in customer service. And personally, i have no problems with police, fire, or military riding trains for free if it means I'd be safer if a situation did occur!

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com