Monday, September 24, 2012

Gallows Humor

Dictionary.com defines gallows humor as humor that treats serious, frightening, or painful subject matter in a light or satirical way.
I've often heard it called "black humor" or Macabre as well.
 
So when I heard an old Eighties tune the other night, I had to actually (not just on the computer) LAUGH OUT LOUD as my mind went to the way the song is sung: 
 
Abra-abra-cadabra
I want to reach out and grab ya...
Abra-abra-cadabra!
Abracadabra...
 
This was a big hit by the Steve Miller Band, circa 1982.    
Of course, my Cop's Wife/Demented Brain translated the lyrics to go a little something like this:
 
Abra-abra-cadabra!
I want to reach out and STAB ya...
Abra-abra-cadabra!
Abracadabra...
 
What can I say? There's been an inordinate number of stabbings in Roc's Percinct lately.
You should see what we did to Santa Claus is Comin' to Town...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com