Thursday, November 29, 2012

Congrats!

Congratulations Victoria!
You guessed correctly!
My LEAST FAVORITE Christmas song (by a mile) is Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lennon, Yoko Ono, and the Harlem Community Choir.
And before I get a deluge of mail, let me take a moment to explain myself. I realize this is a sacrilege to some: after all, we New Yorkers feel a certain pull towards John Lennon, even going so far as to name a piece of Central Park in his honor. (Strawberry Fields)
HOWEVER...I cannot stand the maudlin tone of this song. It feels as if it goes on forever; the song ultimately sounds whiny to me and I can barely stand to hear the opening as I know what's coming next.
And although I know that the song was originally written as a Vietnam War protest song, I cringe every time I hear the opening line which states, So this is Christmas...and what have you done...?
It drives me nuts! It makes me start focusing on the year, and how fast it went, and what I had planned to do, and what have I done? Neurotic, I know...but...there's also the line that says the world is so wrong...and, I'm sorry, but I just don't want to focus on how wrong the world is during what could potentially be a joyous Holiday Season.  
Although I might be the only one. This song has been covered by the likes of Melissa Etheridge, Celine Dion, The Fray, even Neil Diamond, who (might I remind you) does not celebrate Christmas.
That said, I want to thank everyone for playing! It's been fun and I enjoyed fielding answers. More contests to come, so stay tuned...and remember...hug your cop.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Victoria and as you say Remember always hug your cop :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com