Thursday, December 13, 2012

The 12.12.12 Concert


Although I can't speak for the rest of the country (or the world at large) I don't know of one New Yorker who didn't tune in for at least a little bit and catch an act or two of last night's big 12-12-12 Concert for Sandy Relief.
For those of you who have been with me for a while, you might know that I am not a fan of rock music. I love classic soul, and all kinds of R&B, and although I can tolerate a few different rock artists, it's just not my cup of tea.
One exception: Billy Joel.
I was saying this last night while he was playing: I don't know anyone who doesn't like Billy Joel. I specifically don't know any New Yorkers. He's Long Island's own, and a New York legend in my lifetime. I think we're lucky to have him, and I felt lucky to tune in last night and catch his set. He's still fabulous.
When he broke out New York State of Mind last night, I started to ponder how healing that song was in the aftermath of 9/11, and there he was again, healing us, sending out love through this song...decades-old, now new again.
A part of me thought that maybe he never wants to sing this song again; if it meant no more tragedies for us New Yorkers, I think even Billy himself might shelve it.
But as I sat there catching all the subtle changes---at one point he said Newsday (the Long Island newspaper) instead of The Daily News...I smiled. When he shouted out to Breezy Point in Queens, I shed a tear.
New Yorkers are known for being tough, and we are, and we will be. Thank you Billy Joel for reminding us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com