Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Remembering Sandy

Today is the one-year Anniversary of Hurricane Sandy.
It's hard to believe that it's been a year as I know of people who have just recently moved back into their homes or are still rebuilding from this devastating storm. Just like the commemoration of any tragedy, the day brings with it mixed emotions: sadness at what we lost as a community, and at the same time, hope for the future of those who have fought back and managed to rebuild and/or pay it forward.
It's sure to be an emotional day in and around New York City.
On a more personal note, today also would have been my Grandmother's Birthday. So it's an anniversary on two fronts for me; a day of inner thought and remembering times gone by...and at the same time, a day of looking forward guided by all the past has given me.
I stumbled across a rather interesting article this morning that I thought I would share as it speaks to this very thing:
“Coming up on an anniversary of something like a traumatic event can ramp things up and people can feel highly anxious and depressed,” Dr. Rachel Yehuda, director of the traumatic stress studies division at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City, told FoxNews.com.  “It’s a time where there is a natural spike in symptoms, especially on a first year anniversary.”
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/29/hurricane-sandy-anniversary-dealing-with-psychological-scars-one-year-later/ 
The article says---in so many words---look at where you came from, and rejoice. I'm thinking that I will remind myself of that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com