Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Update

As so many of you already know, the decision has been made, and New York City's Police Commissioner will be a familiar face: Mr. William Bratton.Of course, just as I had predicted, there are numerous idiots that are already maligning the pick and would like to see Ray Kelly back in charge. 
Did I say idiots?
I think that the most important thing to remember about this transition is that it is just that:  a transition.
Change.
A New Year comes, and the old year passes.
Dictionary.com defines a transition as a movement, passage, or change from one position, state, stage, subject, concept, etc., to another...there is also a definition pertaining to music which is listed and defined as a sudden, unprepared modulation.
For those of you who have been with me on my journey this past year, you might be able to see just how fitting that definition is...for this has been a year of many changes...in my heart, and in my life.
I sit here right now taking a break while a batch of cookies bake in my oven. I could be upset that I really didn't have the same amount of time this year to deck the halls and bake myself silly as I had in Christmases past; I could indeed feel lonely and bemoan my fate because I am sitting here alone on New Year's Eve while my husband is out there protecting and serving the City that we love.
Instead, I'm going to be thrilled that this night gave me the opportunity to bake. My baby is asleep and my dog is lurking around the kitchen as always. I am remembering my beloved Grandmother as I bake, and I am smiling at the fact that my mother became a Grandmother herself this year. I am grateful; for friends and family that have exited my life, for new friends that are like family, and for boundless opportunities all around me. I am grateful that I have a child with ten fingers and ten toes and that even though there are times when I would kill for some uninterrupted sleep...I am aware that the days are long and the years are short.
I confess that I am not great at change. How many of us can honestly say we are? We are creatures of habit, us humans, and therefore we feel most comfortable in a box that we create for ourselves. I could never have foretold what this year would have brought my way, but I find myself grateful---and that's just the word that keeps coming to mind---for the good, the bad, and the unexpected. 
May we all find God's Love in 2014; in the midst of the easy and the hard...may our Law Enforcement Officers be kept safe at all times...and may your transitions be smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com