Wednesday, January 22, 2014

It's Been Awhile

It's been awhile since I've posted but I just wanted to check in and let you know that we're all okay over here. January has been a warped-speed kind of month, filled with a final Post-Christmas Celebration, De-Christmassing my house, dealing with various snowstorms, all kinds of baby-related things...Roc's schedule being all over the map, and of course...a really busy gym to deal with...as it is every January.
Those of us in the Fitness industry know it won't last; we see the same thing happen year after year, and we're used to it. People join the gym in January with the best of intentions. Largely, it's because they made a New Year's Resolution and want to get into better shape. Some people got a gift certificate for Christmas...and, here in the Northeast, some people have simply given up on running outdoors in the frigid weather. Whatever the reason, my job is always very busy this time of year. My classes are packed. The regulars are pissed because someone's standing in their spot; the newbies are intimidated. It's my job to make everyone feel welcome. I do the best I possibly can, knowing that out of one hundred participants to sign up for a membership, less than fifteen of them will stay and make exercise a lifestyle choice.
I find that sad, but it's part of human nature. Most people don't want to work to get results. They want a magic pill, or some sort of fad diet or medical procedure to make it all turn out right. The saddest part is what those few that stick it out will tell you: the more you work out, the better you feel. Movement begets movement. I often ask new clients: "How long do you want to move?" Because if you're not moving now...it's going to be a lot harder as you age. 
I encourage you today to get moving, and try some form of exercise, just for the hell of it.
You never know...you might even like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com