Monday, November 9, 2015

A Moment of Panic

Every Police Wife knows that moment: the panic you feel when the News is reporting something and you've yet to hear from your significant other. I had a rare personal moment with a hot cup of tea this morning, and while lovingly licking my spoon, I came across a headline shouting:

1 reported dead, 2 wounded in subway shooting near NYC's Penn Station

Keep in mind that my husband was nowhere near Penn Station this morning; in fact, the subway train I knew him to be on was definitely going in the opposite direction.

It doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter that just an hour or so later that same news outlet was reporting that the shooting had nothing to do with terrorism and something to possibly do with drugs; I replayed a recent argument in my head as I texted him furiously.

A moment later it occurred to me that my brother worked not far from Penn Station.

So now I was texting the two men in my life that were currently in NYC and it took only a few moments to hear back from my kid brother. He was fine, and in fact he was still home sleeping when the incident occurred.

Great. Now I could focus all my texting energy on my husband, as I pictured him lying on a stretcher, reaching for his shield, his cell phone...calling out my name...a bevy of NYPD and FDNY trying to get him over to the hospital...

...and then the text. 

...and then the sigh of relief.

...and then the silent promise to stop fighting about the recyclables.

...and then that last, final sip of reheated tea.

Yes: a moment of panic is always a great way to start the day.

If you'd like to read what actually happened: 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/09/1-killed-2-wounded-in-shooting-near-penn-station/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com