Thursday, September 7, 2017

A Fan and a Friend of the #NYPD

I had the pleasure of interviewing Rebecca Harary recently, and I'm going to take a minute to share what she had to say here. Ms. Harary is a candidate for District 4 running to represent the New York City Council.
She is running on both the Republican and Reform party tickets.
Please know that as I do various interviews with people that I really don't care what party they represent. I care about how they feel about the #NYPD. I care about what they are willing to do on behalf of the #NYPD. 
The sad truth is that so many Police Officers do not live within the confines of the five boroughs and won't be able to vote in the upcoming election. It hurts my heart to think of the countless number of men and women who serve the #NYPD and yet have no real voice or vote.
That was just one of the questions I pitched to Ms. Harary.
Stella: So many members of the #NYPD feel disenfranchised. They work many long, tiring, and sometimes dangerous hours to protect the City that they love, only to go home to a surrounding county where they can't vote for the next Mayor of New York. I know first-hand that the majority of the #NYPD does not like or trust Bill de Blasio.
Rebecca: I totally feel their pain. They have no say in who their boss gets to be, and the stakes are high. Even the Police Commissioner is not an elected position.
Stella: What are your thoughts on changing that?
Rebecca: I think that's something we can look at...why not? Don't they vote for their PBA President, etc?
Stella: They do.
Rebecca: I feel the #NYPD should have more of a voice. I've tired to connect with them and even did a ride-along with the 61st Precinct in Brooklyn. When Ray Kelly was the Police Commissioner, I became a Police Liaison. I think the Police in this City need to make more money. I think that the general public needs to be more aware of all that the #NYPD does.
Stella: I think it's great that you did a ride-along. I think every single member of the City Council as well as the so-called Mayor should have to do that...at the very least. I went after John Liu (former City Council Member) once on Twitter, demanding that he do a ride-along in one of the City's tough (read: crime-ridden) neighborhoods before he spouted off about the #NYPD. I believe he never answered me.
Rebecca Harary was a true lady, belied by the fact that she didn't return comment on that statement. I have to admit I was incredibly impressed. This woman is a mother of six (Oy Vey!) that has made inroads in both the education and business worlds, and she's confident she can make a difference in New York City this Fall.
I had one last question for her; a softball of sorts, just a little something to get to know the candidate.
Stella: Do you remember the Garth Brooks concert held in Central Park in August 1997? What would it take to get another concert like that back in NYC? And who would you like to see do it?
Rebecca: Oh, Ariana Grande would be perfect for a concert like that. After what happened in Manchester, it would be a great way to show the world that we're not afraid. And I would love to see that happen again in NYC.
Agreed.
Until then, go out and vote. If you live in District 4 (Upper East Side/14-98th St, etc) go vote for Rebecca Harary. If you're part of the #NYPDFamily, your vote for Ms. Harary would insure someone on the City Council who gets it. She's both a fan and a friend of the #NYPD. To this I say: who better to serve our City?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com