Friday, September 8, 2017

A Talk with Sal

Before I ever spoke to Sal Albanese, I got into a fight with him on Twitter.
It's true. If you've been reading me, you know that I don't back down and afraid is not a word I would use to describe myself.
Perhaps: Warrior.
But I digress.
If you've yet to hear about Sal Albanese, where have you been? Sal Albanese is a former City Council Member and is currently running to be the next Mayor of New York City. He's running on the Democratic ticket. And although there are certain factions that believe Bill de Fake Italian is a foregone conclusion as the City's next Mayor, trust me when I say that Sal Albanese is giving him a run for his money.
Just the other night, there was a primary debate, and Sal Albanese was quoted as saying:
"Well, I think there is a major demoralization in the police force," Albanese said. "90-percent of the police officers disapprove of the mayor."
We talked about this and so many other things. We didn't agree on everything, but he was certainly right about this.
Bill de Blasio's response?
"A lot of things you just heard are not true, and here's what's true: our officers are doing an outstanding job, the men and women just achieved a historic record - the safest August in the history of this city," Mayor de Blasio said.
I hate to tell you, Billy, but the #NYPDFamily would love to give you your walking papers.
This much is true.The #NYPD has made this August the safest in the history of NYC.
With no thanks to you.
In terms of Sal Albanese, I liked him more than I thought I would. He feels that the #NYPD needs their morale lifted. That is most certainly true. His vision for moving the City forward includes ideas like City agencies doing the right thing by the public, solving the growing problem of homelessness in our City, and fixing the perennially broken MTA.
My last question for him was the same softball I pitched to Ms. Harary, just a little something to get to know the candidate.
Stella: Do you remember the Garth Brooks concert held in Central Park in August 1997? What would it take to get another concert like that back in NYC? And who would you like to see do it?
Sal: Oh, I would love to see Simon and Garfunkel again. And I would love to see that happen again in NYC. Why not? We could and should arrange these things...it's been a while.
September 1981, to be exact.
My take? Talking to Sal was like talking to an old friend in an Italian neighborhood: loud, fun, an interview that felt more like a conversation, and even though I told him how I felt about our Twitter interaction no holds barred...he didn't back down.
I respect that.
God knows I respect that in a man far more than any incompetent fool that would turn his back on the #NYPD.
Tuesday, September 12th is Primary Day in NYC.
Get out and VOTE...and if you're a registered Democrat, you should consider Sal Albanese.
The bottom line: he roots for the home team.
And I don't just mean the Yankees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com