Monday, November 29, 2010

Midnights and Events

When Roc was working midnights, it was also sometimes better for events, and sometimes it was decidedly not. Just like any other cop's wife, I ended up often going to events alone: parties, outings, and even one Christening. Most people understood. I hated it.
I still hate the idea that when calling to RSVP, many times I call to respond definitely for one; and perhaps for two. A lot of times I don't know until the last minute if Roc can get off or not. I'm a planner. I don't like that feeling of not knowing.
Plus, I'm married. I think it's a little bit different when you're dating; you want your significant other by your side, you want to share your life with them. But I don't know if the family expectations are the same. There's a certain unspoken expectation that goes on: when you're married, people expect that you will show up as a couple.
Even if one of the couple is a cop. In my family, there's often an angry undertone attached to events: If Roc hadn't chosen to do this (So late in life! What's wrong with him?!) he would be here right now. (How dare he!)
And of course everybody feels that their event is the most important one.
So...that brings me to the Christening.

1 comment:

  1. It's so true. I get asked every Sunday at church where my husband is. For the past 3 months (while he was on days) he was at work. Now (on nights) he's home asleep. I tell them he won't be back for at least 3 mo (when the schedule changes) every week... for 3 mo.

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com