Tuesday, January 25, 2011

NYPD Training

Yesterday, Roc had a routine training scheduled at one of the various NYPD training sites in and around NYC. The instructor opened up the training by saying:

"It's Open Season on Cops in the USA today."

I almost fell off the couch when Roc came home and relayed this info last night, as I said the same exact thing while posting the blog yesterday. He went on to tell me that they had a great training session yesterday: the instructors had set up a "real-time" scenario as if they were entering the projects on a routine call. There was rap music blaring, people jumping out of doorways, and all kinds of distractions going on. I was pleased to see that he went to a truly relevant training, as this is similar to what he encounters on a daily basis.

Last night, I was talking to my Uncle on the phone, waiting for Roc to come home. Uncle lives in Florida, not far from where two police officers were killed yesterday. While I was on the phone with him, there was no mention of it on our news. You might think, well...okay...you live in New York, this happened in Florida, etc...but consider this: more than half of the people I've ever met in NY either have a second home, a vacation place, a relative, or friends that live in Florida. I know several people who have dated between NY and Florida for years. There are several restaurants where we live that have locations in New York and Florida. As states, we are enmeshed.

So why no mention?

This morning, the News sites were pontificating about the situation. One headline read:

Authorities Fear Cops Being Targeted After at Least 11 Officers Shot in 24 Hours

You think?

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I have the opposite viewpoint. I would prefer they DIDN'T mention it to the public - those are the f*cks doing it. No sense riling up the idiots of the world. Warn the officers through official channels and don't stir up the copycatters.

    This is yet another reason I love SWAT ... twice a month shooting drills, vice twice YEARLY for our patrol guys. Anything to keep my husband as safe as possible.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meadow:
    Interesting view, and I don't necessarily disagree. I've always wondered about the domino effect...
    XO Stella

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com