Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Backstory

Before I make my big announcement, I think it's only fair that we get into the backstory a little...of course, if you've been hanging out on this blog at all, you know by now that there's always a story!

A backstory is defined as a narrative providing a history or background context, especially for a character or situation in a literary work, film, or dramatic series.

I guess in this context My Life is the dramatic series.

So: let's rewind. It's Junior High School and my mother had just gotten remarried to a complete waste of space. In much the same way that animals have a sense about people, I feel like kids do too, and I knew something was a little more than hinky about the guy from the get-go. He was unlike anyone I had ever met before and although at that age I probably couldn't articulate it, there was something untrustworthy about him, and I knew that he was up to no good.
Plus, I just didn't like the way my mother acted around him.
I felt this inexplicable need to protect her and to be around as much as possible. I didn't like leaving her alone with him, and even though I knew that a normal marriage would find the two involved having a certain amount of normal alone time, I inherently knew this was not normal.

In the midst of this budding relationship, my school began having tryouts for the Drama Club. I saw the posters and I thought it was something I would like to do; I had always danced and was never nervous being up on stage or in front of people. I decided to try out for the Drama Club.

I tried out and made it through the first round and onto the second. Don't ask me what play they were about to put on, because I could no longer remember, I just knew I wanted to be part of something bigger than just me...some sort of a team, but back then I wasn't interested in sports...so I figured Drama would be a good choice.

As I made my way to the final rounds, I found out about the huge time commitment involved in being part of the Drama Club. I figured I could still juggle school and Drama, but I also had a boatload of chores to do, and I kept feeling a pressing need to be home, to be around, to not let too much time pass without my watchful eyes in the house.

I opted out of Drama and always regretted that decision.

1 comment:

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com