Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Eavesdropping

"So how was it?" I asked him as he peeled off his sweaty clothes and dumped them ceremoniously in the bin.
"It was okay. They had us down by the Towers...ah, where they're building the new Towers." He shook his head. "They were doing a training exercise. Us. FD. Everyone."
"Was it busy?"
"Not for me, but if I had a nickel for every person who stopped and asked me what was going on, we'd be rich."
"Can you blame them?"
"No, I just wanted to hold up a big sign that said: This Is A Training Exercise."
"I don't blame them." I shook my head. It's still visceral, ten years later, at least for me.
"I don't either." We locked eyes then, and I knew we were thinking the same thoughts.
Thirty years from now...we'll still be thinking the same thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com