Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!



As I sit home and get ready to watch The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I have mixed emotions this year. I've had a special tradition that I've shared with my Grandmother every single year of my life: at the very end of the parade, the penultimate moment when Santa appears in his sleigh, at that precise moment, I would jump up and yell: "NANNY NAWS!!!!"
That was back when I couldn't say Santa Claus...but the tradition stuck, and I've never pronounced his name properly since then. Whether I was in the same room with my Grandmother or miles away...I would call her and yell across the miles, "It's Nanny Naws!" and we would laugh together.

This year, I have no one to call.
Her absence is felt on a daily basis, but I know that today there will be a particular void; a moment when I will feel her absence in a way that says this holiday is altered forever.

For all of you who are missing someone this Holiday...I wish you peace in the form of good memories, and a small, silent moment for remembrance.

I am thankful I had her in my life for as long as I did...and grateful for the special lady that made all my Holidays fabulous.

I wish you a glorious Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com