Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Sad Day for the NYPD

Yesterday was a sad day for the NYPD. I was just beginning to get my day together yesterday morning when I got a text from a friend: Sorry about police officer. Since Roc was home with me, I didn't completely panic, but I hadn't checked the news yet. Once I did I found out about one of our own being shot and killed by yet another career criminal.
(Read: scumbag.)

Officer Peter Figoski was shot in the face early Monday.

Two years after he could have retired from police work with a full pension, Figoski was responding to a routine call — backing up other officers checking out a report of an apartment break-in in Brooklyn.

He was met by a fleeing suspect who shot the 22-year police veteran in the face and killed him, police said.

To read more:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/2nd-suspect-sought-after-nypd-officer-shot-in-face-and-killed-responding-to-apartment-break-in/2011/12/13/gIQA3BEErO_story.html

Here's what bothered me the most: He was shot once at so close a range his collar brass flew off.
This man died (read: was murdered) two weeks before Christmas and leaves behind four daughters. My heart broke for this family when I heard the news and I know that I will be thinking of them over the Holidays, praying for some way for them to find peace in the midst of this awful tragedy.

In a totally unrelated story, a borough apart, a retired NYPD Officer shot and killed his wife in a heated domestic dispute. This is another seemingly senseless tragedy that her family will have to unravel throughout the holidays and beyond.

To read more:
http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/12/11/tax-investigator-fatally-shot-by-husband-a-former-nypd-officer/

Rest In Peace Officer Peter Figoski and Tracey Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com