Monday, January 2, 2012

Sad Opening

It's both sad and tough to open up the New Year with a post about yet another LEO having been shot, but it's happened again in the NYC area.
This New Year's Eve, an off-duty Federal Agent died while confronting a pharmacy robber in a small town on Long Island. He was there picking up his elderly father's cancer medication while the whole thing went down; the robber/drug addict was also shot to death, which is the one bright light in this sorry tale.

Veteran agent John Capano: Rest In Peace.

I will tell you that I am tired of writing these posts. A LEO friend posted on his FB today that 163 U.S. Law Enforcement Officers were killed in the line of duty in 2011. He says:
I don't bring this up to create sympathy for law enforcement, but to maybe help people understand the difficulty of decision making in the job, and why officers sometimes behave the way they do. This and the military are one of the few jobs that one can't protect oneself simply by being "safer", as these jobs have the unique characteristic of danger coming from other intentional and motivated human beings.
A valid and valuable point.
I make no excuse for my husband; he is a Police Officer with a clean heart and is motivated to do good so that good people can live their lives in peace. If in fact the day comes when he has to use his weapon and actually kills someone, I will be the first to support him in any way, shape, or form.
Those of us who do not carry a badge/shield have no idea what it's like to have to make a split-second, life-altering decision. Therefore we cannot judge it.

3 comments:

  1. Ditto... I feel the same way.

    Something that frustrates me is when "friends" feel the need to post LEO related jokes, quotes, etc on facebook or even tell them to me but whenever they have a law enforcement question they come to me to ask my husband. My resolution this year is to start distancing myself from these people.

    I could go on for days but I wanted to say this was a great post and you are not the only one who feels this way.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been so many of these just recently and each one just scares me even more. I know I live in what's considered a "safe" community but this is the kind of situation that can happen anywhere. Thanks for the post and getting a different perspective out there!
    www.peeptoesandcombatboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies; I make no apologies, as you can see...and Mandy, don't worry, you will find the people who "get it" are the ones who stick around...Peep Toes, not meaning to scare you further, let me just say this: you are validated, here, with me. I believe that anyone who wears a uniform is considered a target---anywhere. Proof positive: at the last NYPD funeral, there were snipers and Aviation sent in to look after the assembly of Officers simply paying respects.
    We need to stand with conviction and not care what others may think. They are not in our shoes, peep toes or otherwise!
    :) Stella

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com