Thursday, September 20, 2012

For the Ladies

This has less to do with being a Cop's Wife and more to do with being a Woman...but I am sharing here, because I think it's important to remind ourselves frequently to keep our thoughts in check.
I was getting on the train on Tuesday and I felt someone staring at me. Did you ever get that feeling? Sure enough, I turned around and there was a guy that was staring me up and down and then kept looking up and trying to sneak a look at my face.
Of course I thought I had something on my face.
And then it occurred to me: what if he was just looking at me because I was exceptionally beautiful? What if I was the only friendly face he had encountered that day, and he was simply looking for someone willing to share a smile? What if he was lost, and trying to make eye contact, so that perhaps I could point him in the right direction?
Why had my mind went immediately to the question: what is wrong? 
How often do we assume something is right? As women, do we automatically ask ourselves the self-conscious question first? If so, why?
And what if we changed?

2 comments:

  1. Probably because of things like this:

    http://unwinona.tumblr.com/post/30861660109/i-debated-whether-or-not-to-share-this-story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...very intense...so sorry that she had that experience...
    My point was more about how so many of us automatically shift to negative thoughts, rather than positive...
    Stella

    ReplyDelete

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com