Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

It's Election Day in America.
People from sea to shining sea are all revved up about getting out there to vote; I actually know people who have Election Night Parties to rival the Super Bowl. I have friends who have been working tirelessly on campaigns (both sides) and I personally have been inundated with mailings from candidates all across the political spectrum.
And I just don't care.
Don't get me wrong; I will get out and vote today, and I will be eagerly awaiting the results, especially in some of my local races. But since the Storm hit, my mind and my heart are totally preoccupied with what's going on in New York and New Jersey. I found myself worrying about the people staying in their damaged homes without heat and electricity last night when temperatures dipped into the freezing zone. I woke up this morning with relief efforts on my mind: what else can I give, do, or send? I contacted a friend or two, and I am working on a project for the whole SCW Community to get involved in. Now that I'm back in my house, what right do I have to not help others?
How can I make a difference?
Is there a way to help that will get help where it needs to go quickly?
Is God sick of hearing from me yet? I have been praying non-stop; praying against this next storm that will be barreling up the Coast sometime tomorrow. Asking God politely if it would please just go away.
I am an American, but boy, am I a New Yorker...so that's where my heart is today.
I encourage you to get out and VOTE: If you don't vote, you can't bitch. That's Stella's rule.
And may the best (wo-)man win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Law Enforcement News Powered by PoliceOne.com